Hi, My name is Mrs Hodge and I am the year 5 class teacher and lead English throughout the school. I love working with the children in my class to prepare them for the challenging year ahead.
Poetry : T.S.Eliot ‘ Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats.’
Linguistic features in poetry.
Non Fiction: Argument and Debate- Should there be CCTV cameras in Classrooms?
Features of argument texts – difference between fact and opinion.
Fiction: Significant Authors – Michael Foreman.
Texts from same author – themes of friendship and closeness to nature.
Non Fiction: Reports – The Battle of Troy ( Cross curricular link)
Features of reports
Mental multiplication and division; Fractions, ratio and proportion
To identify factors and multiples, find factor pairs.
To revise equivalent fractions; compare and order fractions with related denominators; add and subtract fractions with same or related denominators; multiplying fractions by whole numbers.
Written multiplication and division
To use short division to divide 3/4-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers, including those which leave a remainder; express a remainder as a fraction; use long multiplication to multiply 3-digit and 4-digit numbers by teens numbers.
To find the area and perimeter of squares and rectangles and irregular shapes; calculate the perimeter and area of composite shapes; find the volume of a cube or cuboid by counting cubes.
Decimals, percentages. Fractions, ratio and proportion;
To understand percentages, relating them to hundredths; equivalences between percentages and fractions, percentages of amounts of money; equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages.
Number and place value
Equivalent Fractions, improper / mixed numbers, multiplication of whole numbers and fractions
To write dates using Roman numerals
Statistics; Measurement; Written multiplication and division; Mental multiplication and division
To find cubes of numbers to 10; draw and interpret line graphs : timetables , 24-hour clock , time intervals; simple fractions; use factors to multiply; solve scaling problems involving measure
|Science||Living Things Including Animals
· Humans timeline
· Growth of babies
· Growing up
· Changes in old age
· Gestation periods
· Life expectancy
· To write and edit a wiki page, adding images and hyperlinks
· To create a page for a class wiki using appropriate style, format and content for the target audience
|Topic||Gods and Mortals: Ancient Greece
· The Battle of Marathon
· Greek Gods and Goddesses
· Myths and Legends
· The Trojan war
|R.E.||Christianity and Judaism
· To understand the rituals of religious life.
· To recognise the significance of Shabbat to Jews
· To identify questions to which there are no universally agreed answers
· To learn about the significant places, rites and rituals of a religious community
· Creation stories
|PSHE||Relationships: Knowing myself. Understanding and managing my feelings. Understanding the feelings of others. Transition.
Values: Empathy/Self Belief
|MFL||French: To describe a person’s characteristics/ To give someone’s nationality in French/ To describe someone using various adjectives/ To be able to name various leisure activities.|
|P.E.||Athletics: Field and track skills
Rounders: Mr Greene
|Art /D and T||Pottery – Design and model a Greek Pot
Dyeing and Printing – Adinkra fabric dyeing – African textiles
|Music||Charanga: ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ (cont)
To recognise basic style indicators of Rock music
- A homework task will be set each Monday and must be given in to be marked on the following Monday morning
- In Year 5, I will be testing the children during the last week of each half term on words from the National Curriculum Lists.
- Times tables will be learnt during our maths lessons and will be included within homework tasks.
- Homework will alternate on a fortnightly basis between CPG English and Maths workbooks, and Homework Journals.
This term we will be having a Final Placement Student working with us in Year 5.