Hi, my name is Miss Rix and I teach in Year 2. I have been at Abel Smith for 2 years now and love the positive and friendly ethos this school has! I love teaching in year 2, we always have lots of fun while we learn important skills.
In year 2 we ensure that the children cover lots of varied and interesting topics which support them in their SATs which we take in the summer term. We organise these so that they are completed in a calm and supportive envirnoment where they feel comfortable to achieve their potential.
Latest News - view whole school
View all news
Term: Autumn 1
Week 1 will focus on well-being and teamwork to settle the children into the new academic year. This will include fun, hands on, cross curricular activities throughout each day.
Week 2: Calligrams
- To show the meaning of a word though the way it is written
- To identify calligrams as words showing their meaning
Weeks 3-5: Stories from familiar settings
- To use past tense to retell a familiar tale
- To edit the punctuation in my story from a familiar setting
- To use present tense to write from an animals perspective (diary entry as a river/pond animal)
- To edit the use of punctuation in my diary entry as an animal
- To use adjectives in a story in a familiar setting e.g. pond/river
- To edit the punctuation in my story in a familiar setting
Weeks 6 and 7: Recounts
- To use sentences in different forms (exclamations) when retelling the diary of Samuel Pepys
- To edit the punctuation in my retelling of the diary of Samuel Pepys
- To use sentences in different forms (questions) to write a recount of the Great Fire of London
- To edit the punctuation in my recount of the Great Fire of London
Handwriting –Cursive script
Phonics – daily group sessions phase 3-6
Guided reading – weekly small group session focussing on HfL Steps
- Partition numbers into tens and ones.
- Different representations of the same number.
- Estimate numbers from different representations.
- Compare numbers by looking at tens and ones.
- Order numbers by reasoning about their value.
- Find numbers that satisfy simple criteria.
- Use place value representations to prove solutions.
- Review and assess
- Two bonds to ten make bonds to twenty.
- Adding ones to make multiples of ten.
- Adding tens and ones to make multiples of ten.
- Making equal values using ones.
- Making equal values using tens.
- Making equal values using tens and ones.
- Adding more than one thing at a time.
- Subtracting more than one thing at a time.
- Adding and subtracting at the same time.
- Part-part-whole representations.
- Turning part-whole models into number sentences.
- Self-correcting work using inverse relationships.
- Thinking about additive equations.
- Deeper thinking about additive equations.
- Interpreting what number lines show.
- Interpreting what other representations show.
- To apply understanding of addition and subtraction to worded questions.
- To apply understanding of addition and subtraction to the concept of measures.
- Review and assess
Science (taught by Mrs Hodge)
Animals including humans
- Animal babies
- Growing and changing
- Basic needs
- Healthy eating
Topic: London’s Burning
This half term we will be studying the history of the Great Fire of London in our topic ‘London’s Burning’
PSHE: – Values Based PSHE – Team Building and Diversity
R.E.- This half term we will be exploring signs and symbols
P.E.– Gymnastics and team games
Music– This term we will be following the Charanga unit ‘Hands, Feet, Heart’
DT – Food and nutrition – making gluten free cakes and biscuits and understanding the need for them
- Homework will be given out each Monday and must be returned on the following Monday morning
- 1-2 Pages CGP set weekly – Alternate weeks Grammar/Maths
- Weekly spelling lists (given in spelling practise book)
- Daily reading – recorded in the diary
- Weekly practise of 2x, 5x and 10x tables
- PE lessons on a Monday and Wednesday but we may go out for extra sessions during the week.